Minions. You know ’em. Those obnoxiously cute little dudes are everywhere, and they’re pretty hard to miss. You probably know that they lovebutt jokes, karaoke, and being kissed goodnight – but unless you’re certifiably Minion-obsessed (and it’s OK if you are, no judging here), there’s a few facts about those yellow shorties that you might not know.
1. Minions have only one purpose in life : “to seek out and serve the most despicable master they can find.”
2. Minions were originally supposed to be human-like henchmen, but the studio didn’t have the budget for it. That’s why they’re so short. And weird.
3. At the beginning of Despicable Me 2, you see yellow-jacketed humans speaking a foreign language. This is an homage to the design for the original Despicable Me henchmen.
4. They’re not just speaking gibberish, they have their own official language called Minionese. Some of their words are from the French, Italian, Hindi, and Spanish languages.
5. Their voices are done by the directors of the Despicable Me films, Chris Renaud (American) and Pierre Coffin (French), which is why some of them have different accents.
6. They’re hopelessly obsessed with fruit. In the short film “Banana,” it is revealed that Minions have an uncontrollable craving for apples and bananas. Especially bananas. They really love bananas.
7. Minions have existed since the beginning of time. They evolved from single-celled yellow organisms into adorable cylindrical-shaped beings.
8. They’ve accidentally killed a lot of their villainous masters because they are so ineptly devoted. These tragic deaths include, but are not limited to, Dracula, Genghis Khan, Napoleon, and the T-rex.
9. If the minions are without a master, they’ll become completely depressed. Long ago, after their masters were destroyed (by their own Minion stupidity), they isolated themselves in Antarctica. Not having a master to serve drove them into depression, so a few of them set out to find a new one.
10. Minions have only three fingers.
11. All Minions playing a significant role in the films are given male names.
Make that Eleven Things you don’t know about Minions